Apply for a Home - Habitat for Humanity of Greater Sacramento
Interested in becoming a homeowner through Habitat for Humanity of Greater Sacramento?
The Homeownership Program provides a hand up for hardworking, dedicated families in need of a safe, decent home. We build an average of 6-8 homes each year and our partner families purchase their home with a 30-year, zero interest mortgage.
Our partner families spend 500 hours working alongside volunteers to build their own home, attend educational courses to learn about homeownership, and set positive examples in their communities by maintaining their homes and being good neighbors.
Program applicants go through an extensive selection process, including a detailed financial review and in-home visits. To qualify for the program, our partner families must meet three main criteria.
1.Need for Adequate Shelter
Families must be experiencing at least one of the following conditions in their current living situation:
- Substandard Conditions (mold, lacks electricity, unsafe, in need of major repairs, etc.)
- Overcrowded Conditions
- Paying too much for rent (more than 50% of their gross income)
2. Willing to Partner
Applicants must be willing to act as a true partner with Habitat for Humanity of Greater Sacramento. Our partner families must sign a partnership agreement and agree to:
- Contribute 500 hours of sweat equity building their home and the homes of other partner families
- Share their story through our website, interviews, videos, and more
- Complete homeowner education workshops
- Attend Habitat events and homeowner meetings
- Stay in good communication with Habitat staff
- Make mortgage payments on time
3. Ability to Pay
Applicants must have the ability to pay for the house. Habitat for Humanity of Greater Sacramento selects families that earn between 30%-60% of the area median income. A typical mortgage is 30% of the homeowner’s gross income.
An applicant’s income should fall within the following “low income” range based on household size.
|Family Size||At Least||No More Than|
|Family Size||At Least||No More Than|
- Applicants must be living or working in Sacramento or Yolo County for at least one year.
- Applicants must be legal permanent residents or citizens of the US at the time of application.
Selections are made in compliance with the Federal Credit Equal Opportunity Act and on an impartial and non-discriminatory basis. Race, color, national origin, marital status, familial status, sexual orientation, age, religion, and disability play no part in the choice.
How to Apply
If you are interested in applying for a home the first step is to read the information below and sign up for an orientation. Scroll down to the bottom of this page to register for upcoming orientation dates.
In addition to the main application packet, you will need to download and print the following documents:
Here is what you need to know about our application process in 2018:
- As of January 2, 2018, the new 2018 Home Ownership Program Application is available to be downloaded from our website or picked up in our office. We are also happy to mail you a physical copy upon request.
- In order for an application to be considered complete, the applicant MUST attend Homeowner Orientation in March 2018 (attendance at previous year’s Orientation does not excuse an applicant from this requirement). This is a 2-hour presentation at our office at 819 N 10th Street, Sacramento, CA 95811 in which we will answer any questions applicants may have about the application process or homeownership program.
- To sign up, scroll to the bottom of this page, and click on the registration link for your chosen date. Then, confirm your registration by filling in the contact information requested. You will receive an email confirmation after you register.
- Completed application MUST include all items on HfHGS Documentation Checklist.
- Completed applications will be accepted from April 1 to April 30, 2018. We will not accept applications before or after this window. Applications should be submitted to Homeowner Services Department at Habitat for Humanity of Greater Sacramento, 819 N 10th Street, Sacramento, CA 95811
- There is no application fee at the time of submission. However, if an application passes through the first round of internal review, we will then require a processing fee of $30 so we can run the necessary credit and background checks.
- IMPORTANT: Please note that until such time as a completed application has been submitted for review, we will be unable to comment on or discuss your specific circumstances and/or eligibility. In the meantime, for questions about assembling the application or the required documentation, please check out our Application FAQ’s on our website, request a print copy at our office, or contact the Homeowner Services Department.
- 3/22/18 5:30PM- 7:30PM (Arabic translation services provided)
- 3/24/18 10 AM-12 PM
- 3/31/18 12-2pm
- 4/4/18 5:30PM-7:30PM
- 4/6/18 6:00PM-8:00PM (presented in Spanish and English)
HfHGS Homeowner Services Contact Information:
Shannin Stein, Homeowner Services Manager
(916) 440-1215 ext. 1104
Liz Gobbo, Family Services Coordinator
(916) 440-1215 ext. 1109