Apply for a Home - Habitat for Humanity of Greater Sacramento
Interested in becoming a homeowner through Habitat for Humanity of Greater Sacramento?
The Homeownership Program provides a hand up for hardworking, dedicated families in need of a safe, decent home. We build an average of 6-8 homes each year and our partner families purchase their home with a 30-year, zero interest mortgage.
Our partner families spend 500 hours working alongside volunteers to build their own home, attend educational courses to learn about homeownership, and set positive examples in their communities by maintaining their homes and being good neighbors.
Program applicants go through an extensive selection process, including a detailed financial review and in-home visits. To qualify for the program, our partner families must meet three main criteria.
1.Need for Adequate Shelter
Families must be experiencing at least one of the following conditions in their current living situation:
- Substandard Conditions (mold, lacks electricity, unsafe, in need of major repairs, etc.)
- Overcrowded Conditions
- Paying too much for rent (more than 50% of their gross income)
2. Willing to Partner
Applicants must be willing to act as a true partner with Habitat for Humanity of Greater Sacramento. Our partner families must sign a partnership agreement and agree to:
- Contribute 500 hours of sweat equity building their home and the homes of other partner families
- Share their story through our website, interviews, videos, and more
- Complete homeowner education workshops
- Attend Habitat events and homeowner meetings
- Stay in good communication with Habitat staff
- Make mortgage payments on time
3. Ability to Pay
Applicants must have the ability to pay for the house. Habitat for Humanity of Greater Sacramento selects families that earn between 30%-60% of the area median income. A typical mortgage is 30% of the homeowner’s gross income.
An applicant’s income should fall within the following “low income” range based on household size.
|Household Size||Minimum Income||Maximum Income|
- Applicants must be living or working in Sacramento or Yolo County for at least one year.
- Applicants must be legal permanent residents or citizens of the US at the time of application.
Selections are made in compliance with the Federal Credit Equal Opportunity Act and on an impartial and non-discriminatory basis. Race, color, national origin, marital status, familial status, sexual orientation, age, religion, and disability play no part in the choice.
How to Apply
The application deadline for 2017 will be April 3rd, 2017. If you are interested in applying for homeownership for the 2017 year, you MUST sign up for and attend an orientation in February.
The orientation will review program requirements and the process of becoming a homeowner through Habitat for Humanity of Greater Sacramento.
Due to the high number of applications we have received recently, our Homeowner Orientations will be limited. As new orientation dates are set, they will be listed here for online registration.
If you have questions regarding our homeownership program, please contact FamilyServices@HabitatGreaterSac.org.