Apply for a Home - Habitat for Humanity of Greater Sacramento
Interested in becoming a homeowner through Habitat for Humanity of Greater Sacramento?
2019 Orientations were held the week of Monday, August 19th through Saturday, August 24th 2019 at various times and locations. The next round of orientations will be held in the Fall of 2020.
Please note: The Habitat for Humanity of Greater Sacramento Home-ownership Program is very competitive and applicants go through a stringent qualification process. Last year, we received approximately 1,000 inquiries for our 2019/2020 build cycle, with only 7 families being selected for our Home-ownership Program. For this year’s build cycle, 2020/2021, will be building between 5 to 7 single family dwellings with three (3) and four (4) bedrooms.
Information about the Homeownership Program:
The Home Ownership Program provides a hand up for hardworking, dedicated families in need of a safe, decent home. We build an average of 5-7 homes each year and our partner families purchase their home with a 30-year, affordable mortgage.
Our partner families spend 500 Sweat Equity hours working alongside volunteers to build their own home, attend educational courses to learn about home ownership, and set positive examples in their communities by maintaining their homes and being good neighbors.
Program applicants go through an extensive selection process, including a detailed financial review and in-home visits. To qualify for the program, our partner families must meet three main criteria.
1.Need for Adequate Shelter
Families must be experiencing at least one of the following conditions in their current living situation:
- Substandard Conditions (mold, lacks electricity, unsafe, in need of major repairs, etc.)
- Overcrowded Conditions
- Paying too much for rent (more than 50% of their gross income)
2. Willingness to Partner
Applicants must be willing to act as a true partner with Habitat for Humanity of Greater Sacramento. Our partner families must sign a partnership agreement and agree to:
- Contribute 500 hours of sweat equity building their home and the homes of other partner families
- Share their story through our website, interviews, videos, and more
- Complete homeowner education workshops
- Attend Habitat events and homeowner meetings
- Stay in good communication with Habitat staff throughout
- Make mortgage payments on time
3. Ability to Pay
Applicants must have the ability to pay for the house. A typical mortgage is 30% of the homeowner’s gross income.
An applicant’s income should fall within the following “low income” range based on household size.
|Family Size||At Least||80% AMI|
|Family Size||At Least||80% AMI|
- Applicants must be living in Sacramento or Yolo County for at least one (1) year.
- Applicants must be U.S. Citizens or Legal Permanent Residents at the time of application.
- Applicants must be a First-Time Home-buyer
- Applicants must not have filed for bankruptcy in the last three (3) years
Selections are made in compliance with the Federal Credit Equal Opportunity Act and on an impartial and non-discriminatory basis. Race, color, national origin, marital status, familial status, sexual orientation, age, religion, and disability play no part in the decision making process.
To submit a Homeownership Inquiry:
If you meet the above qualifications, and would like to be added to the inquiry list when applications reopen, please provide the information below. This is not a formal application. This allows us to gather your information to notify you when Homeownership Application periods open.
Rochelle Roberts, Homeowner Services Manager
(916) 440-1215 ext. 1101
AmeriCorps Family Services Coordinator
(916) 440-1215 ext. 1109