Americorps Members - Habitat for Humanity of Greater Sacramento
The volunteers, donors and homeowners who join with us at Habitat for Humanity of Greater Sacramento share a belief: hard work and success go hand in hand. Every day, we do what Habitat does best around the globe. But we do it right here in Sacramento, by coming up with inventive solutions to our area’s growing housing challenges. Because when we invest in our neighbor’s quest to become a homeowner, it benefits the whole community.
We are currently hiring for our 2018/2019 AmeriCorps team! The 2018/2019 AmeriCorps term will begin in August of 2018.
What we’re looking for:
Successful Greater Sacramento Habitat team members share the following characteristics:
- A “go above and beyond” attitude.
- You thrive on constructive feedback and have a high level of integrity.
- You do what you say you will do.
- You are a creative problem solver that works across teams.
- You love results and hate excuses.
RECOMMENDED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- AmeriCorps members will need to transport themselves to the jobsites either by car, car pool or public transportation
- Experience working with volunteers or teaching/group facilitation experience desirable
- Strong verbal communication skills
- Ability to work with a diverse group of people
- Experience working as a member of a team
- Knowledge of, and willingness to promote, the mission and activities of Habitat for Humanity and AmeriCorps
- Ability to complete the reporting and timesheet requirements of the AmeriCorps program in a timely, accurate, and thorough manner
- Basic construction knowledge is preferred
- Be comfortable speaking in front of groups of up to 100 people
- Work well independently and self-motivated
- Have a valid drivers’ license and be able to meet applicable insurance requirements, and experience driving large pick-up trucks a plus
- Customer service experience is a plus
Community Development Coordinator – begins August 2018 (10 month term)
The Community Development Coordinator AmeriCorp will be instrumental in helping HFHGS to expand its community outreach to build on its Neighborhood Revitalization (NR) Program. HFHGS has recently begun providing home repair services, and we are hoping to expand this program substantially within the next fiscal year, requiring further assistance in the Homeowner Services Department with outreach and partnership building. HFHGS plans to go from completing 5 repairs in 2017 to completing at least 45 projects in the 2018-2019 fiscal year. As the program is still in its beginning stages, the Community Outreach Coordinator will be instrumental in helping HFHGS build new relationships with residents and community partners and in increasing community knowledge about home repair opportunities. Position requires intermediate computer skills, as well as excellent verbal, in-person, and written communication skills. Database experience is desired, but not required. Must be a self-starter, detail oriented, highly organized, and results oriented.
Construction Crew Leader – begins August or September 2018 (10 month term)
With the assistance of the AmeriCorps members serving in this role, we anticipate completing 4 new builds and 5-8 Home Repair projects, with a projected total of 12 families served. We also anticipate at least 1 community event to occur which will utilize members to spread the word about our HR program and encourage community members to get involved as volunteers on our worksites or to apply to be family partners. In addition, a secondary goal of this position is for the AmeriCorps member to identify, train and support some of the Regular Volunteers to serve as additional Crew Leaders for volunteers at our new build sites and home repair projects. We view the construction crew leaders as integral to our goals of building more homes and better neighborhoods and communities throughout our service area.
Go to http://www.habitat.org/americorps. Scroll to the middle of the page and enter “Sacramento” as the City and “California” as the State. Click on the Search button. Review the position that you are interested in. Hit the “Apply now” button at the bottom of the screen.
Habitat for Humanity of Greater Sacramento is an equal opportunity employer.
For more information or to apply, please visit the Habitat.org AmeriCorps website.
What is AmeriCorps?
AmeriCorps is a national service organization that offers young adults a way to give back to their communities. Members serve a 10-1/2 month term and receive a living stipend, insurance, and an education award at the completion of their service. AmeriCorps members serve in construction, family services, the ReStore, and in various development roles.
Habitat for Humanity of Greater Sacramento welcomes both local and out of state applicants to apply for the AmeriCorps program.
For more information or to apply, please visit the AmeriCorps website. Questions? Contact Donna Higa at DHiga@HabitatGreaterSac.org