Americorps Members - Habitat for Humanity of Greater Sacramento
The volunteers, donors and homeowners who join with us at Habitat for Humanity of Greater Sacramento share a belief: hard work and success go hand in hand. Every day, we do what Habitat does best around the globe. But we do it right here in Sacramento, by coming up with inventive solutions to our area’s growing housing challenges. Because when we invest in our neighbor’s quest to become a homeowner, it benefits the whole community.
What is AmeriCorps?
AmeriCorps is a national service organization that offers young adults a way to give back to their communities. Members serve a 10-1/2 month term and receive a living stipend, insurance, and an education award at the completion of their service. AmeriCorps members serve in construction, family services, the ReStore, and in various development roles.
Habitat for Humanity of Greater Sacramento welcomes both local and out of state applicants to apply for the AmeriCorps program.
For more information or to apply, please visit the AmeriCorps website. Questions? Contact Donna Higa at DHiga@HabitatGreaterSac.org
We are currently hiring for our 2018/2019 AmeriCorps team! The 2018/2019 AmeriCorps term will begin in August of 2018.
What we’re looking for:
Successful Greater Sacramento Habitat team members share the following characteristics:
- A “go above and beyond” attitude.
- You thrive on constructive feedback and have a high level of integrity.
- You do what you say you will do.
- You are a creative problem solver that works across teams.
- You love results and hate excuses.
RECOMMENDED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- AmeriCorps members will need to transport themselves to the jobsites either by car, car pool or public transportation
- Experience working with volunteers or teaching/group facilitation experience desirable
- Strong verbal communication skills
- Ability to work with a diverse group of people
- Experience working as a member of a team
- Knowledge of, and willingness to promote, the mission and activities of Habitat for Humanity and AmeriCorps
- Ability to complete the reporting and timesheet requirements of the AmeriCorps program in a timely, accurate, and thorough manner
- Basic construction knowledge is preferred
- Be comfortable speaking in front of groups of up to 100 people
- Work well independently and self-motivated
- Have a valid drivers’ license and be able to meet applicable insurance requirements, and experience driving large pick-up trucks a plus
- Customer service experience is a plus
AmeriCorps Construction Crew Leader:
AmeriCorps members are essential in helping our affiliate’s construction program build to capacity. Members serving in this role will be part of the team that will give the necessary boost to significantly increase the number of families our affiliate is able to serve through our Home Repairs (HR) and new construction projects. Our affiliate takes an average of 4 months to build new homes and 3-5 weeks for home repairs depending on how extensive the repairs are. With the assistance of the AmeriCorps members serving in this role, we anticipate completing 4 new builds and 30 Home Repair projects, with a projected total of 42 families served. We also anticipate at least 1 community event to occur which will utilize members to spread the word about our home repair program and encourage community members to get involved as volunteers on our worksites or to apply to be family partners. In addition, a secondary goal of this position is for the AmeriCorps member to identify, train and support some of the Regular Volunteers to serve as additional Crew Leaders for volunteers at our new build sites and home repair projects. We view the Construction Crew Leaders as integral to our goals of building more homes and better neighborhoods and communities throughout our service area. To view full job description click here.
AmeriCorps Family Services Coordinator:
The AmeriCorps Family Services Coordinator will be instrumental in helping HFHGS to continue to expand its community outreach in an effort to find qualified families for our homeownership programs. We are continuing to build roughly eight homes a year, and we are working to build our Home Repair Program, necessitating additional assistance in the Homeowner Services Department with outreach, the selection process, and maintaining strong relationships with our partner families. After our AmeriCorps Family Services Coordinator departs, the relationships formed by his or her outreach efforts will continue to result in increased knowledge about our homeownership and home repair opportunities, increased attendance at our orientation meetings, and increased volume of applicants. This member will also assist in strengthening partnerships with current and future HFHGS homeowners. To view full job description click here.
Go to http://www.habitat.org/americorps. Scroll to the middle of the page and enter “Sacramento” as the City and “California” as the State. Click on the Search button. Review the position that you are interested in. Hit the “Apply now” button at the bottom of the screen.
Habitat for Humanity of Greater Sacramento is an equal opportunity employer.
For more information or to apply, please visit the Habitat.org AmeriCorps website.